HORSE-PLAY
Introduction
Art Gallery

Campaign 1:
The Nightmare Ritual


Character Sheets
Session 1
Session 2
Session 3
Session 4

Campaign 2:
Fatebreaker


Character Sheets
Session 1
Session 2
Session 3

Fatebreaker: Session 3

Word Count: ~2.0k, Content Warnings: ???




"Do you have any idea of where "that alicorn" went?" Stormswirl finally looks away from her own flank. Her eyes look... desperate.

"Last I saw," said a random crowd folk, "She took out the fortune-teller and dissapeared! She could be anywhere!"

"You know how powerful alicorn magic is!" somebody else whinnies.


DAWN
"Do we..." Mwezi turned the burnt tarot card over in her hoof. "Is there anypony here capable of tracking somepony?


OCCAM
"Ugh, I never paid attention to that," muttered Gloria, thinking back to when she was learning to be an expert aerialist. Sadly she had neglected the 'following a trail' part of the lessons.


IRIS
"Yeah, do we actually like... have a plan?" Sunsteel mutters to her companions. she didn't want the crowd to sense her hesitation but it was slowly occurring to her that her plan began and ended with "find bad guy: beat up" with no clue how to actually put that plan into action.


The blank, thin, paper card in Mwezi's starts to give off a certain kind of... interesting energy, and perhaps a hum. Oh, wait, definetly a hum... the crowd seemed to notice it too.

"What do you have there?" "What's that?"


IRIS
"Oh yea, those cards!" Sunsteel's ears perk up at the sudden realization. "What's the deal with those things, Mwezi? They've gotta give us something, right?"


DAWN
Oh. That was new. The humming, the faint buzz of magic; it was unmistakable. The cards were trying to tell them something. They just needed to listen. "These are tarot cards that Starquake was using. They're... humming. Maybe we can use them to follow her?"


OCCAM
"Oh! Maybe they're still tuned into her magic, or however you want to put it? Because she wasn't done doing the predictions or something? That's a good, solid lead!" Gloria did her best to nod impressively and look confident, also keenly aware of the crowd, but it really did sound like something, at least!


"Is that how magic works?" Somebody asks. "I dunno, I'm an earth pony." "They're not even ponies, can they do magic?" "I dunno." The crowd chatters and whispers, not so subltley, while the card's hum begins to fade and they seem a little duller.


IRIS
"We should probably get away someplace where we can focus on just these cards, huh?" Sunsteel said under her breath. "Or i could just chase the crowd away. either way's good with me."


OCCAM
"Maaaaybe let's just go somewhere private! I kind of want to get invited back to this place, and not have to do any more fighting here." Not that Gloria normally has to be talked out of fighting, but. Still.


IRIS
"Oh right, yeah. good idea. No fighting unless we actually need to, I getcha." now that was an alien concept to sunsteel, but she could get used to it probably. "so where to?"


DAWN
Mwezi tapped her hoof against her chin as she placed the cards gently back into her saddlebag. "Let's try somewhere outside of town. Are there any caves nearby maybe? Weird magic loves caves."


"There's a ditch behind the park," somebody blurts. "Is that like a cave? You know there was a weird cult here once."
"They had magic," "Oh yeah," "Is it a magic ditch?" "yes, keep up!"
The earth pony who had helped you fight Dusty Trails, kind of scowls and looks at the crowd. They seemed to recognize her stare, and take a step back, granting y'all some space to exit.


IRIS
"magic! ditch! magic! ditch!" sunsteel chants and stomps on the ground, before grabbing mwezi in her magic and trotting past the space left in the crowd with the zebra in tow, though she turns back to look at the grumpy earth pony who helped 'em out before she goes. she wanted to say something but... maybe some other time


OCCAM
Gloria shrugs apologetically and takes off after them, after a moment joining in with "Magic ditch! Magic ditch!" to her own little tune.


The "Magic Ditch" was more like the regular kind of ditch you'd see next to construction, perhaps to keep rain water out. But, hey, it was quiet and remote and anything could be magical with friendship, right? There's a convienent stump near the center, a big flat one, that holds itself up above the muddy bottom.


IRIS
sunsteel plops mwezi directly in front of the stump and stares at her expectantly. sunsteel didn't have the brain juice to entirely understand what was going on what with the magical cards or the weird alicorn stuff, but if anyone could figure it out it'd be mwezi. she was smart like that


OCCAM
Even Gloria settled down on her haunches, catlike, with wide-eyed expectation for Mwezi to say something really smart and save the day.


DAWN
Mwezi clambers onto the stump, glad to finally be free from the prying eyes of the general public. She pulled the cards out, their humming have nearly gone silent. "I... We should try and focus our friendship into these." Mwezi turned to look at Gloria and Sunsteel. "Ponies love friendship."


IRIS
without a second's hesitation sunsteel grabs mwezi and gloria into a big hug and, still holding each under a foreleg, stares at the cards expecting them to do a thing


OCCAM
"Yeah! Friendship and magic and...uh, and things like that!" The griffon can't exactly move her arms or wings right now but she fully agrees with the sentiment and focuses all those good vibes onto the cards.


The card's humming slowly warbles back, faintly but clear in the quiet forest ditch. They glow as dim as a match stick. You see, on the surface of one, an image. Almost like a reflection in the mirror of a glowing light- its hard to focus on, blurry and out of reach. It's stone, great and stone. A mountain?


IRIS
"ok well that's... something." sunsteel hummed and traced her hoof idly under gloria's chin like it was her own, taking the card in her magic and examining it. "how did starquake use these things, was anyone paying attention? i was distracted during that conversation by uh..." sunsteel's cheeks burn as she remembers she spent most of the fortune teller visit admiring her friends' butts, "...cutie mark stuff, yeah."


OCCAM
One would think Gloria totally incapable of being embarrassed, but she's still blushing faintly herself at the casual intimacy of the gesture. Not that she's complaining, her tail instead flipping back and forth thoughtfully. "Uh...good question...let me try to remember," she says, being slightly less distracted at the time. Slightly.


Gloria: Mind Trait (D6) = 1


Communal Chip Pile: 1 Body, 3 Mind, 2 Charm


You remember your friends where there in the small booth with you, and that Starquake seemed really excited and urgent about showing you your fate.


OCCAM
"...uh...something about our destinies and cutie marks?"


IRIS
"yea the cutie mark thing was really distracting right?!"


The Mountain on the cards seems to grow clearer, more in focus.


OCCAM
"It was, for sure...ooh! Lookit!"


DAWN
"A mountain... are there any mountain ranges nearby?"


The mountain image begins to fade, replaced by something new. Again, faint at first... but comng clearer. It looks like words, carved into a great sign. You can't make them out though- they're distinctly letters but something is wrong with them.


Gloria: Mind Trait (D6) = 5

Mwezi: Mind Trait (D6) = 1

Sunsteel: Mind Trait (D4) = 4



Communal Chip Pile: 1 Body, 4 Mind, 2 Charm


Gloria, you're the one who notices first. The letters... they're upside down! This realization seems to make it all click in your head. they're not wrong, they're upside down. If you could look at it th eother way... it mgiht be clearer.


OCCAM
"Oh!" Gloria squirms her way out of the hug, and flits up in the air to turn her head, rather than just...turn them upside down and maybe disturb them. From above it should be clearer!


IRIS
sunsteel turns the card upside down and slaps it dramatically onto the stump for everyone to look at


"UPSIDE DOWN LIBRARY." it reads.

There's another flash, a x on the north-eeastern side of equestria, and the cards are back to being blank.


OCCAM
But Gloria is already triumphantly reading it out loud in a portentous voice as that happens.


IRIS
"why would a library be upside down? all the books would fall over." sunsteel asks, as if that's the most important question needing to be answered


DAWN
"I think the why can wait. Or maybe it's not literal? Fate speaks in interesting ways." Mwezi looks to her friends and smiles. The card must have one last thing to say...


IRIS
seeing mwezi's smile makes sunsteel's heart light up, and she beams in return as she taps her hoofs excitedly on the stump


OCCAM
Gloria's floating down again and cheerily returning that smile, so happy to have formed such a close bond with them!


While the Crystal Tundra, and now the Crystal Empire, are to the north west... there is a small mountain range to the North-east border of Equestria. These mountains are the Brittle-Bone Mountain Range, named after the most trecherous peak, Brittlebone.

The x you all saw before the sign of the "Upside Down Library" went away seems to match that spot on the map... you think. It was gone pretty quick. and it is a mountain, like the first image.


OCCAM
"Okay, sooo...mountain climbing expedition!" She's doing her best to make this into another exciting group effort, and anyway it will be nice sharing a tent with them.


IRIS
"listen, i know a lead when i see one, and x marks the spot!" sunsteel says excited, pounding her hoof on the stump for emphasis. "and i'm pretty sure this x marks the brittle-bone mountain range. i hoofed it out there for a bit after i left the grove, they're actually not nearly as intimidating as they sound." sunsteel rubs her hooves excitedly and smiles ear to ear "they are pretty far from here though....... WE SHOULD TOTALLY TAKE A TRAIN! MWEZI!!" sunsteel stamps her hooves in front of mwezi repeatedly "CAN WE TAKE THE TRAIN?! CAN WE CAN WE CAN WE???"


OCCAM
"Oh! Oh yeah, the trains here are so cute with the little hearts and everything, we SHOULD!"


IRIS
"TRAIN GANG! TRAIN GANG! TRAIN! GANG! TRAIN! GANG!" sunsteel shouts at an obnoxious octave, pounding her hooves with each word


DAWN
Mwezi couldn't help but get carried away in their excitement. She spent most of her time travelling moving about on hoof and loved taking the train when she could afford it. "Train gang!"


IRIS
"IT'S SETTLED WE'RE OFFICIALLY TRAIN GANG!" sunsteel hollers, grabbing both of her friends in an excited hug. "does haybale hollow have a train station? i actually don't know."


Haybale Hollow station is a smaller station, that really only serves the bigger Ponyville station that's further north- where more trains head in and out of. However, even by the standards of the small station, it seems... barren.

Just the staff, who look a little on edge, the day you come after the incident at the fair, brandishing your shiny tickets to Brittlebone.


IRIS
"ok so we hop on the train and just ride it all the way to brittlebone, we beat up the bad guy and save the fortune teller kid. that seems easy enough, that alicorn wasn't that strong. no problem, no problem!" sunsteel recounts under her breath, mostly to calm her own nerves. she was nervous, but also excited. nervouxcited.


OCCAM
"Yeah! She just got lucky there, we'll get her this time because we're prepared!" Gloria's enthusiastic pounding of her fist into her open palm attracted a few stares, probably, but she didn't care. This was a good time to get hyped, but also try to...uh, strategize. Yeah.


IRIS
"we're gonna beat her up!" sunsteel said excitedly to gloria. "and then we're gonna become her friend! that'll show her!"


OCCAM
"Excellent plan!"


DAWN
"Mhm! Maybe we'll even get some quiet time for once in our lives." Mwezi sighed wistfully at the idea. Adventures were nice but she was sorely behind on her reading.