HORSE-PLAY
Introduction
Art Gallery

Campaign 1:
The Nightmare Ritual


Character Sheets
Session 1
Session 2
Session 3
Session 4

Campaign 2:
Fatebreaker


Character Sheets
Session 1
Session 2
Session 3

Fatebreaker: Session 2

Word Count: ~2.8k, Content Warnings: ???




DAWN
Mwezi hated this. The noise, the fire, the confusion; all of it was bad. This? This was unacceptable. Mwezi took a step back, drawing her cane and putting herself firmly between Sunsteel and Gloria.

"Sunsteel, listen to me. I don't know what's going on in your head right now but I promise that whatever is happening, I'm going to help you through it. Just... take a deep breath for me, okay?" Mwezi's grip around her cane tightened and her brows furrowed. "I don't want to have to hurt you."


Mwezi: Charm Trait (Awakened) (d6) = 3

Sunsteel: Charm Trait (d6) = 2


Sunsteel, the pounding in your mind shifts. "Attack the griffon! Attack the griffon!" It fades, making room for "Take a deep breath for me, okay? Take a deep breath..." The memories come back, of your good and loyal friend Mwezi... and of Gloria- not "the griffon" but Gloria..


IRIS
Sunsteel stood stiff as a post. She blinked, and her cheeks flushed. There were a lot of emotions going through her mind, from "i kinda still wanna rough her up a bit" to "oh no i almost hurt my friend" to "gawwwwd this is so embarrassing". so, in the absence of a clear direction, she did what came naturally. "Mwezi. Tell me where I can throw flames at."


OCCAM
Gloria visibly relaxed, well, as much as she could while still injured and surrounded. But she still managed to raise a cheer. "There's our Sunsteel! I--oof--I never doubted you for a second!" Yeah...she'd be fine. They'd all be fine. And they'd kick some butt together.


Blue Pegasus?: Zap Talent (D4) = 3

Sunsteel: Body Trait (d8) = 6


PR-CRACK! A small shock of lightning wizzes past Sunsteel's tail. The blue pegasus had summoned it from a cloud in her hooves. The pegasus, eyes dulled in tone and her cutie mark torn in two, says nothing but frowns with disastisfaction.


OCCAM
"Uh, girls, s-should I go after her again?" For once, Gloria seems uncertain, though by the way she's got her talons clenched she's determined to protect them somehow! She can take a hit or two...


IRIS
Sunsteel's ears were still ringing and she wasn't sure if it was whatever that alicorn did to her, or if it was just stress. She wasn't quite at Nirik levels of snapping yet, but she felt close. Close enough that she barely heard Gloria as she spoke up, and close enough that she didn't think twice about retaliating against that pegasus with a thrown fireball.


Sunsteel: Fire Control Talent (D8) = 6

Blue Pegasus?: Body Trait (Nimble Upgrade) (d8) = 6


The pegasus bolts out of the way of Sunsteel's fire in the sky, flying up high enough to dodge.

Meanwhile, some of the other ponies are beginning to wake up from across the smoldering fairgrounds. "What... what was..." "who...." "an alicorn..." "it hurts..." they mutter, rubbing their heads and blinking as they readjust to consciousness.


OCCAM
"We need to get them to safety!" Gloria realizes, then nods to the others. "I can at least distract her--" meaning the pegasus, "--just don't let them get hurt and hold off the one on the ground!" True to form, she tries to do some flashy wingwork into the sky despite taking a hit earlier!


Gloria: Fly Talent (D8 + 1) = 3 + 1


Gloria gets the blue pegasus's attention, at least!


DAWN
Mwezi grappled with the weird tempest of emotion swirling in her chest. It was a lot to take in! Her attention lit up as a fireball streaked across the sky and she decided to take some tips from her hot-headed friend. Violence, in this case, would be the answer. Advancing on the earth pony, Mwezi swung with her cane.


Mwezi: Body Trait (D8) = 1

Communal Chip Pile: 0 Body, 3 Mind, 0 Charm


The Earth Pony takes a slight step back, and Mwezi's cane flies by his face with a whiff!

"What's happening?!" A voice cries from a far. "Where is Dusty?"


OCCAM
"Rough 'em up, rough 'em u--" Gloria's singing cuts off on hearing that, head tilted.


IRIS
Sunsteel jumps behind Mwezi, providing at the very least an intimidating body to back up her friend, in case the earth pony wanted to try anything. She heard people talking around her, but she was not listening to them. She would strike when and where Mwezi told her to, and that was that.


The blue pegasus makes a tackle toward Gloria, unphased by her song and possibly not even noticing the distraction.


Blue Pegasus?: Fly Talent (D8) = 6

Gloria: Fly Talent (D8 + 1) = 1 + 1

Communal Chip Pile: 1 Body, 3 Mind, 0 Charm

Gloria looses 4 Stamina! (5 / 12)


The blue pegasus headbutts Gloria straight into the solar plexus- ringing an unpleasent crackling noise.... Owch!

More ponies are waking up, dazed and confused, but they turn to see the arial battle in the sky. "Where did the alico- what's happening? Why are they fighting?"


OCCAM
"G'uuuugh--not stylish!" she wheezes.


DAWN
"Bait them down here!" Mwezi waved her hooves at the injured Gloria. She would apologize to the earth pony she nearly smacked in the head later - there were more pressing matters to attend to.


IRIS
Sunsteel wasn't even sure which end was up at this point. She hated this; her and her friends should've known better at this point than to split themselves up like this. Oh well, Sunsteel wasn't much use in an aerial battle so she just focused on the enemy right in front of her, if the pony wouldn't stop fighting on its own, Sunsteel would make it stop with her hooves.


Sunsteel: Body Trait (D8) = 1

Brown Earth-Pony?: Body Trait (D8) = 7

Communal Chip Pile: 2 Body, 3 Mind, 0 Charm


The earth pony jumps over Sunsteel's hoof, landing on the opposite side of her, and huffs loudly. You can see that his cutie mark, some kind of... cloud or something... is also cut in half.


Fistycuffs: Brawl Talent (D10 + 1) = 1 + 1

Brown Earth-Pony?: Body Trait (D8) = 1

Brown Earth-Pony? looses 1 Stamina!


The earth pony jumped over Sunsteel, but made himself vunerable to an freshly awake Fistycuffs!


OCCAM
Whoever that is who just arrived, Gloria doesn't notice yet, but it's a welcome addition, and she goes in for a landing in Mwezi's direction!


CAMILLE
Fisty's head hurt. One minute she was enjoying herself, the next she's face down in the dirt with a splitting headache. After her vision started to clear up she saw a group of creatures fighting off attacks from an earth pony and a pegasus. The Earth pony looked damn familiar too.

It was that guy who owed her money! After a zebra and a kirin both tried to attack the slimy jerk, he tried to show off by doing some fancy flip in the air. Clearly he wasn't a trained fighter.

After he landed, Fisty gave him a quick jab in the barrel, to announce her presence. "Pay up buddy."


The brown earth pony doesn't seem to give Fisty any mind, despite taking a blow. He turns right back around to face Sunsteel again.

("Kill the heroes... Kill the heroes...")


DAWN
This was staring to become a problem. First the alicorn, then the mind control, now this big tough earth pony making her mark in strangers business. Still, she seemed to be on their side for now, so... "I'll grab 'em while you punch 'em, stranger!" Mwezi wrapped her cane around the earth ponys neck, trying to pull him into a hold.


Mwezi: Body Trait (D8) = 5

Brown Earth-Pony?: Body Trait (D8) = 6


The earth pony's neck is caught in the cane, but he digs his hooves into the ground to keep from being pulled over, huffing and grunting.

Meanwhile, the blue pegasus kicks down a small thundercloud toward Mwezi's back-end, sensing opportunity from her tug-o-war.


Blue Pegasus?: Zap Talent (D4) = 3


OCCAM
"Mwezi, get down!" Gloria, still injured, tries to help her friend out by pushing her out of the way, even if it means a bonking by instinct!


Gloria: Body Trait (D6) = 4


The electrical shock manages to miss both Mwezi and Gloria, thanks to Gloria's interference!

"Dusty!" A voice screeches, pulling out of the crowd behind Fisty Cuffs. "What are you doing to him?" It's a gray earth pony, older in appearance. "Let my Dusty go!"


DAWN
Mwezi released the earth pony, took a step back, and swung her cane with all she was worth. Screeching pony or not, she wanted this obnoxious pony unconscious as soon as possible and this seemed to be the most efficient way to accomplish that goal.


Mwezi: Body Trait (D8) = 2

Dawn spends 1 Token of Friendship to re-roll!

Mwezi: Bdy Trait (D8) = 8


IRIS
Sunsteel watches as Mwezi releases the irritating earth pony, and she swore if they let the pony get away again, Sunsteel was going to burn this whole fair down. She lit up her horn and attempted to grab the pony in her magic to keep him still for Mwezi's attack.


Sunsteel: Telekinesis Talent (D8) = 4

Brown Earth-Pony?: Magic Resistance Talent (D8) = 2


Sunsteel's telekenisis seems to have a jolt of staticy resistance as it grabs the earth pony, but Sunsteel's magic powers through. He is held still, and Mwezi's stick hits him square in the face with a sharp crack!


Brown Earth-Pony? looses 8 Stamina!


"They're beating him up!" the old lady pony shrieks. "They've gone mad!! The creatures are attacking my Dusty!!" She shoves a confused onlooker. "Do something! Help him!"


OCCAM
"These two--they're not themselves!" Gloria insists, trying to defuse the situation. "It was some kind of crazy mind control magic! We just want to get them calmed down, and we can't seem to talk them out of it!" Hopefully her bruised and beaten appearance will lend credence to that, not to mention the menacing pegasus up above...


"Is beating him bloody the only way to stop him??" Some other onlooker shouts. " Can't you use the elements of harmony, or uh... friendship power... or whatever they do..."


IRIS
"UUHHH we're USING friendship power! To beat him up, OBVIOUSLY!"


CAMILLE
"This guy owes me money!"


DAWN
"Friendship power only works if they're your friend." Mwezi spits, scowling at the onlooker. "How about you come talk to him?!"


OCCAM
"We're not the Elements anyway! Somebody come talk them down then, yeah!"


"Dusty, please!" The old lady says. "I know you've got some issues but this... this isn't you! Don't let these creatures beat you to a pulp!"


IRIS
"Okay, RUDE."


OCCAM
"Hey!"


The brown earth pony shakes his head, mindless of her words. He tries to tackle Mwezi!


Dusty Trails: Body Trait (D8) = 4

Sunsteel:Force-Field Talent (D8 + 1) = 7 + 1


Dusty Trail's attack is countered by Sunsteel's force-field!! He bonks his head, and falls over onto his side, limp and unconscious....


OCCAM
"N-no hard feelings..."


IRIS
Sunsteel grabs the snoozing pony in her magic, resisting the urge to shake him about, and plops him in front of the old mare. But not before parting him with his bit bag. "Here. Take him."


"Did you just rob him, too!?" The lady hollers.

"They're thieves!" Another cries


CAMILLE
"Hey thanks for getting back MY bits" Fisty glares at the old mare.


IRIS
"No problem," Sunsteel sighs and plops the bag into the blonde earth pony's hoof.


The pegasus, unphased by the shouting, strikes at Gloria.


Blue Pegasus?: Fly Talent (D8) = 2

Gloria: Body Trait (D6) = 3


The pegasus collapses into the ground, fulling missing Gloria.

However, the crowd that watched is now enraged. "They must be working for the evil alicorn!" Somebody screeches, and they begin to grab and tug at Sunsteel's tail. "Protect Stormswirl!"


OCCAM
"Um, did you guys get a look at those cutie marks?" Gloria says, suddenly remembering the whole thing ponies have about them.


IRIS
"Geez, they really have it out for us, huh?" Sunsteel grumbles. "Fine then. Ma'am," Sunsteel points her hoof at the blonde earth pony with the fashionable coat, "YOU beat her up!"

"Gloria what the heck is a cutie's mark."


CAMILLE
"All right all right ALLRIGHT!!! EVERYPONY SHUT THE HELL UP! Clearly something weird is going down, and the only one we can blame was tht weird alicorn, cuz clearly both of these jackasses weren't acting normal. Dusty didn't even try to weasel his way out of giving me my money back! Now I want you all to calm down and THINK for once in your sheltered lives!"


Fistycuffs: The Stare Talent (D4) = 4


The crowd falls silent.


IRIS
Sunsteel too.


OCCAM
Gloria as well. For once.


DAWN
Mwezi nods sagely.


CAMILLE
Fisty opens up the bit bag, takes 100 bits, tosses the bag at the old earth pony, walks up to Mwezi and points her hoof at her "Explain."


DAWN
"Soothsayer then evil alicorn then this." Mwezi gestures behind her at the results of the scrum. "Mind control, I think. I was able to talk down my friend Sunsteel, the Kirin."


IRIS
"Hi." Sunsteel says, shakily waving her hoof.


OCCAM
"And I'm Gloria! The best bard in Griffonstone, and now Equestria, too! Maybe you've heard of me? ...No? That's okay. Um, anyway, we...also kind of helped this town out before a few months ago!"

cough cough

"Ow."


IRIS
"Eh? Geez Gloria, how'd you get so banged up? It wasn't my fault, was it?" All the explanations and stuff could wait until Sunsteel's favorite gal pal was back at one hundred percent, so she put her warm hooves on the griffon's feathers and focused her magic.


Sunsteel: Healing Hoof Talent (D10) = 10

Gloria regains Max Stamina! (12/12)


OCCAM
"Ah, no, totally not your fault Sunsteel, it was our...uh, our mind-controlled friends here, you did great trying to help us all! And...ahhh, thanks for that." She preens a little, feeling much better.


IRIS
"So," Sunsteel turns to the crowd, trying her best to mimic her new intimidating earth pony friend, "anypony else got anything to say to us?"


"If you were able to talk down the kirin, could you try with Stormswirl?" another face in the crowd points to the blue pegasus.


IRIS
"Oh yeah," Sunsteel had genuine forgotten about that. "Mwezi? You wanna give it a try?"


DAWN
Mwezi balks at the idea. "I guess I can... try?" Mwezi turns her attention to Stormswirl, resting a gentle hoof on their forehead. "Hey, listen to me. I know we don't know each other but ... there are ponies out there who do, and they care about you."


Mwezi: Charm Trait (D4) = 3

Stormswirl: Charm Trait (D4) = 4


IRIS
Sunsteel lays on the ground in front of the pegasus, booping her snoot against the pony. "I know how you feel. You're overwhelmed and scared, and that's okay. Follow my voice and come back to us, alright?"


Sunsteel: Charm Trait (D6) = 2


OCCAM
"It's okay! This isn't your fault, and you don't have to do this! We'll help you and punish the one who did it, that's what we do!"


Gloria: Charm Trait (D6) = 4


The light of friendship between the three of you seems to glow and warm your heart, and Stormswirl, the blue pegasus, has her eyes fill with color again. "I.... what." She sneers. "What. What the heck happened. Ow. My head."

"What is with all the cheesy lines and... did Dusty Trails get jumped? What." Stormswirl takes a step back. "what happened to my cutie mark?" Her cutie mark, a swirling storm, is still cut in half.

Dusty Trail's is too, by the way.


IRIS
"Is that not... what it's supposed to look like?"


"No!" She snaps. "Its like.. one thing. Not two. These parts, were... connected." She gestures wildly with her wings.Stormswirl brings up a thundercloud, small and mild. "And I can make bigger clouds than this! Why- why is it so small?"


OCCAM
"I'm not an expert, but that seems...unusual. And probably connected to the big scary alicorn."


IRIS
"That's an excellent question, and don't you worry! We're gonna get to the bottom of it!" Sunsteel whispers under her breath, "As soon as we figure out what's going on."


"Alicorn? What alicorn?" Stormswirl gasps. "There was Celestia and Cadence, and then Night- I mean luna.. and now Twilight Sparkle. We've got more alicorns now?? How many are there?"


OCCAM
"I dunno! I just got here not too long ago!" These ponies are crazy, she thinks.


Dusty Trail's grandmother steps forward. "You better find out, missy!" She snaps at Suunsteel. "I want you to heal Dusty Trails as soon as you can! If that means stopping that... alicorn or whatever, then do it!"


IRIS
"Yeah! You can count on us, ma'am! We're gonna fight that alicorn and beat the stuffing out of her, and also figure out a backup plan if that doesn't work but it probably will so no worries!"


OCCAM
Gloria nodds furiously.